The European Society for Environmental History (ESEH) is pleased to announce the call for committees which would like to organise the ESEH Summer School in 2018, according to the Constitution of the European Society for Environmental History (ESEH) (http://eseh.org/about-eseh/eseh-constitution) and Organization of Summer Schools (http://eseh.org/event/summer-school/summer-schools-benefits-requirements/).
Guidelines for applicants:
(1) There has to be a clear environmental history focus in the planned programme of the Summer School (SSCH). A combination of classwork with fieldwork is strongly recommended. The ESEH Summer school committee (SSC) will be happy to help you choose an appropriate environmental history topic, which should be neither too narrow nor too broad.
(2) One of the important tasks of the ESEH is to strengthen the international knowledge transfer, mobility and international networking among promising young environmental historians, thus the summer school must be truly international, it cannot involve scholars from only one country or one language group. As such, instructions should be in English. The school should potentially be open to members of all countries, preferably with a majority of participants being Europeans. You can contact the ESEH Summer school committee to help you identify potential lecturers.
(3) The SSCH must be a PhD-level course, although recent PhD graduates and advanced Master’s students may be invited to attend. The duration of the summer school as well as the number of included students and teachers depend on preferences of organisers.
(4) There can be no fees for participants and they have to be provided with free or almost free accommodation.
(5) Confirmed official ESEH support for a summer school may help obtaining funding, thus organising committees can submit their applications prior to having secure funding. Please submit your proposal only if it is highly likely that the entire financial construction will be covered as planned.
The selected committee will receive the advisory support of the ESEH, the school will also be supported with a total of 500 EUR, and the summer school will be advertised on the ESEH website as well as through the president newsletter. The selected committee will also have the right and obligation to use the ESEH logo in announcements, flyers and websites related to the selected summer school.
Deadline for 1st round of applications: March 2, 2018 (see below Application for recognition of your summer school as an ESEH Summer School in Environmental History).
During the month of March, the ESEH Board will, in cooperation with the ESEH Summer school committee, select the best 2018 summer school proposal and inform all applicants of the final selection. Afterwards, the ESEH Summer school committee will be happy to advise you regarding the call for participants, and will also advertise the selected summer school on the ESEH website.
In case no summer school was selected in the 1st round or there is funding available for a second summer school in 2018:
Deadline for 2nd round of applications: May 15, 2018 (see below Application for recognition of your summer school as an ESEH Summer School in Environmental History).
During the first half of June, the ESEH Board will, in cooperation with the ESEH Summer school committee, select the best 2018 summer school proposal and inform all applicants of the final selection. Afterwards, the ESEH Summer school committee will be happy to advise you regarding the call for participants, and will also advertise the selected summer school on the ESEH website.
Please apply through submission of the Application form to prof. Inês Amorim, the chair of the ESEH Summer school committee, via e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case you have any further questions, the ESEH summer school committee will be happy to answer you and to clarify any needed detail.
- CfP: History of War and Environmental History: Interconnections and Entanglements–Niepołomice (Poland), 21-23 September 2023
- Summer school “Environmental History and Historical Ecology of the Dinaric Karst” (Slovenia, 25–30 September 2023)
- Call for Proposals: Small Workshops in EnvHist
- Call for expressions of interest to host the ESEH Biennial Conference 2025
- Call for Papers: Doctoral School on Eastern Mediterranean Coastal and Island Environments