With generous funding from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the University of Oregon’s Center for Environmental Futures invites applications for a fall-term Mellon Visiting Scholar position in the Environmental Humanities, to run from September 15 through December 15, 2020. Applications are welcome from scholars who study the environment from any perspective in the humanities or allied fields (for example ecological approaches to literature, gender, religion, politics, philosophy, the arts, and/or race; animal studies; indigenous studies, environmental justice, ethics and sustainability; environmental history, cultural geography; anthropology, or sociology). The fellow will offer a public lecture, attend regular Center research colloquia, and pursue independent research and writing. Candidates must be at least five years beyond the PhD. Independent scholars are welcome.
The stipend of $39,000 may be used to supplement a sabbatical or support the fellow’s expenses while at the University of Oregon. Relocation expenses of up to $2,000 are also available. No other benefits are provided.
Deadline for applications is March 15, 2020. Please submit a brief research statement of the project to be undertaken during the fellowship period, a c.v., a writing sample of approximately 25 pages (or comparable evidence of scholarly accomplishment), and three references (with email addresses, whom we will contact for letters of recommendation). Inquiries about the search may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
Please read ALL instructions and make preparations before proceeding to the application page:
- Applications will be accepted only via email to email@example.com;
- Please prepare all documents as Adobe PDF files.
No late applications will be accepted.
- Calls from NEXTGATe: Dissertation Abstracts and Writing Support Programme 2020-2021
- Poul Holm, former ESEH President (2005-2007), gets support from the ERC Synergy Grant project fund
- Tallinn Dissertation Prize: Call for Submissions
- Third NEHT Workshop 2021 Environmental Histories of the Ottoman and post-Ottoman World The Anthropocene: From Empire to Nation-States
- The Ecology of Economic Thought: Online workshop, January 2021, Harvard and Uppsala