Application deadline extended to January 15th, 2018!
The Polar Museum at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge, is delighted to be hosting a BSHS Engagement Fellowship for a postgraduate student in the first half of 2018. The Engagement Fellow will deliver a project to share stories of climate change and its impacts.
Supported by the British Society for the History of Science, this post supports our aim of ensuring we don’t just deliver messages about climate change through contemporary science communication, but instead through a range of types of interpretation including arts and humanities based research.
We would like to suggest two options for the successful candidate, however we are open to other climate history proposals:
- Research and produce a short film and supporting resources for our education offer. The Engagement Fellow would be trained and supported to produce a brief, identify film makers, research content and contributors, and liaise with collections staff about the inclusion of objects. This film would complement our existing set of films and education resources: https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/resources/;
- Suggest and implement an update to one of our permanent displays that introduces the history of climate change. This might be, for example, an update to a display about the Northwest Passage that not only describes the nineteenth century search for the passage, but also introduces today’s tourism in the region as the ice retreats; it might involve looking at the science undertaken by Captain Scott’s crew and relating that to how theories of weather and climate developed; or it could be researching the work that the Scott Polar Research Institute undertook in the 1950s to map ice sheets and proposing a way to incorporate that into the display.
Full details of how to apply can be found here:
- CfP: History of War and Environmental History: Interconnections and Entanglements–Niepołomice (Poland), 21-23 September 2023
- Summer school “Environmental History and Historical Ecology of the Dinaric Karst” (Slovenia, 25–30 September 2023)
- Call for Proposals: Small Workshops in EnvHist
- Call for expressions of interest to host the ESEH Biennial Conference 2025
- Call for Papers: Doctoral School on Eastern Mediterranean Coastal and Island Environments