The Sea as a whole – Ideological reservoir and environmental concerns
5th Summer School in Environmental History
Porto, Portugal | 4-8 July 2014
This four-day ESEH graduate student Summer School will take place immediately before the 2nd World Congress on Environmental History (2nd WCEH) to be held in Guimarães, Portugal, 8-12 July 2014.
The goal is to gather some 15 graduate (and post-doctoral) researchers with junior and senior scholars who will all give formal and informal presentations, individually and in groups, for promoting a rich methodological discussions. Places are available for doctoral students and immediate postdocs.
Under the umbrella theme “The Sea as a Whole”, this Summer school seeks to be inclusive in developing sub-topics that deal with the oceans in a broad sense such as:
- Rethinking sources and methodology: theory and interdisciplinary beyond a nationalist history
- The long term interaction of humans and marine life: how changed marine fauna ecosystems across centuries
- Colonial history and biological exchange across oceans
- Environmental concerns and disasters (climate, sea level, etc.) as a narrative of communities’ resilience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31 March 2014.
Detailed information on the program and how to apply may be found in the full call for applications:
- Call for Papers: Doctoral School on Eastern Mediterranean Coastal and Island Environments
- 4th WORLD CONGRESS OF ENVIRONMENTAL HISTORY: Transitions, Transformations and Transdisciplinarity: Histories beyond History (Oulu, 19-23 August 2024)
- ESEH Bern 2023: January updates!
- Call for Submissions: The Bristol-Bern Prize in Public Environmental History (2Bs Prize)
- European Society for Environmental History (ESEH): Call for Nominations for Elected Positions