The Sea as a whole – Ideological reservoir and environmental concerns
5th Summer School in Environmental History
Porto, Portugal | 4-8 July 2014
This four-day ESEH graduate student Summer School will take place immediately before the 2nd World Congress on Environmental History (2nd WCEH) to be held in Guimarães, Portugal, 8-12 July 2014.
The goal is to gather some 15 graduate (and post-doctoral) researchers with junior and senior scholars who will all give formal and informal presentations, individually and in groups, for promoting a rich methodological discussions. Places are available for doctoral students and immediate postdocs.
Under the umbrella theme “The Sea as a Whole”, this Summer school seeks to be inclusive in developing sub-topics that deal with the oceans in a broad sense such as:
- Rethinking sources and methodology: theory and interdisciplinary beyond a nationalist history
- The long term interaction of humans and marine life: how changed marine fauna ecosystems across centuries
- Colonial history and biological exchange across oceans
- Environmental concerns and disasters (climate, sea level, etc.) as a narrative of communities’ resilience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31 March 2014.
Detailed information on the program and how to apply may be found in the full call for applications:
- 11th ESEH Ordinary General Meeting 2021
- ESEH 2021 Digital Meeting: 8-9 July
- ESEH 2021 Digital Meeting: Program is Out Now
- Environmental History in Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Slovenia: Developments, State and Perspectives
- ESEH 2022 and 2023 Conferences Announced